Trading Systems Engineer
Help us Build the Future of Money
Gemini Trust Company, LLC (Gemini) is a licensed digital asset exchange and custodian. We built the Gemini platform so customers can buy, sell, and store digital assets (e.g., Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Zcash) in a regulated, secure, and compliant manner.
Digital assets and blockchain technology have the power to transform the world for good. This truth, along with our core values, form the bedrock of our company and culture. At Gemini, no job is too small and no project too big as we endeavor to build the future of money. We are a mission-driven, team-based, inclusive, and determined community of thought leaders who invest in each other and the long game. Join us in our mission!
The Department : Engineering
Gemini is regulated and licensed like a bank, but it’s run like a tech startup, and engineering is the core of the company. There’s a wide range of tough problems to solve at Gemini – from properly securing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of customer funds, to developing innovative new blockchain products, to finding new techniques to combat fraud, to shaving microseconds off our API response times, and everything in between.
All of Gemini’s engineers are able to work across the software platform, not just on their own specialization or sub team. We value a thoughtful, collaborative software development process, coupled with a pragmatic approach to problem solving and delivering software.
Role: Trading Systems Engineer
Working with our team of core trading systems developers to improve and expand the functionality of our matching engine, order entry mechanisms, and market data publication. We design, develop, deploy, and support real-time systems for our digital asset trading platform. Time is measured in microseconds and we aim to start measuring in nanoseconds. Reliability, fault tolerance, recoverability, throughput, and latency are what we look for in our systems. If something on the spaceship is broken we aim to fix it, if something can be automated we automate it, and we ship our code weekly.
- Use engineering principles to identify and measure risk and to implement quantitative and technical risk management solutions in software
- Understand business needs, facilitate and develop process workflows, data requirements, and specifications required to support implementation of our real time exchange
- Develop scalable architecture for future state of our exchange and contribute towards improving the trading infrastructure.
- Write robust code and APIs to support the company’s vital business
- Keep everyone informed about the health and viability of the platform by reporting known issues and status of ongoing investigations.
- Identify and advocate for changes vital to the stability and supportability of the system.
- Mentor and advise teammates to ensure new features are efficient, highly available, and fault tolerant.
- Provide continuity and stability to the production environment.
- Provide quick response to production issues to help eliminate down time thereby ensuring high availability and performance of our trading platform.
- Coordinate, prioritize and plan the changes to our trading software thereby ensuring smooth exchange migrations, quick time to market for new features and software.
- 3+ years Java/C++ or functional programming language experience in a exchange/trading systems environment
- Experience with unit testing frameworks and continuous integration tools
- 3+ years working with order handling or matching engines
- 3+ years working with FIX or other market data/order protocols
- Experience in building real time Linux systems
- Solid understanding of IP multicast and TCP protocols
- Low latency/lock-free development and design
- Multithreading and concurrency experience
- Binary or custom protocols (e.g. ITCH/OUCH)
- Linux kernel tuning and optimization
- Scala experience
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive base salaries across all departments
- Ownership in the company via profit sharing units
- Amazing benefits, 401k match contribution, and flexible hours
- Snacks, Perks, Wellness Outings & Events
Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.