Senior Accountant at Stack Overflow
The Senior Accountant at Stack Overflow is responsible for performing the key accounting functions required to enable the organization to scale quickly and fulfill its mission. The Senior Accountant will play an important role in ensuring the accuracy of the general ledger in compliance with US GAAP. They also contribute to developing and improving key systems, processes, policies, and controls for the global organization. The Senior Accountant reports directly to the Financial Controller in New York.
The Senior Accountant oversees the functions listed below ensuring that the accounting and finance functions continue to operate successfully:
What you’ll do:
- Participates in the timely completion of the month-end close process, including booking journal entries, maintaining account reconciliations and adding value through performing review activities.
- Owns the revenue recognition process to ensure compliance with ASC 606, including calculating, recording and classifying monthly revenues from the company’s different product lines, maintaining deferred revenue schedules and investigating fluctuations.
- Assists in accounting for other complex accounting areas including intangibles, equity transactions, stock compensation costs and commissions.
- Manages the domestic compliance activities of the company, including Sales Tax filings and assessments, Annual Report Filings, and liaising with consultants for additional tax and compliance filings.
- Assists in the annual audit and financial statement process. Liaises with external auditors and prepares required supporting schedules and documentation.
- Identifies and proposes internal control improvement opportunities and assists management with process changes. Supports and collaborates on initiatives to enhance processes and further streamline the efficient operations of the Accounting Team to facilitate more accurate financial records and timely reporting.
- Provides backup support to critical accounting functions, including Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable.
- Assists with related special projects, ad hoc reporting, and other duties as needed
- Works with revenue operations team to identify and analyze issues related to revenue recognition and perform inquiries/investigations on unusual transactions.
- Assists with the development and implementation of new accounting policies.
What you’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, or related field
- CPA (or studying for the CPA exam)
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in accounting (public/private mix preferred)
- Intermediate to advanced excel skills (e.g. knowledge of VLOOK-UP, Pivot Tables, SUMIF, IF statements; comfortable working with extremely large datasets)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Energetic, highly organized and a self-starter with the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage time-sensitive projects and collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Strong project and process management skills
Nice to have:
- Experience working in software/hi-tech industry with previous SaaS (ASC 606) and ad tech revenue experience highly preferred
- SageIntacct ERP and Zuora software
- Comfortable working with software tools and learning a variety of new systems
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If you want to work remotely…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.