Sr. Manager, Technical Accounting & SEC Reporting at Noom (Greater NYC Area, NY)
We are building a Controllership dream, and are on the hunt for a motivated, tech savvy, and analytical Technical Accounting Senior Manager. You will play a key role at Noom, reporting to the Director of Technical Accounting & SEC Reporting.
We are experiencing rapid growth, and this position will be known as one of the go-to persons for Technical Accounting and Reporting matters. You will leverage your cumulative knowledge and help bring a systematic and disciplined approach to evaluating the effectiveness of the Company’s accounting policies, compliance and control practices.
You will help us operate like a public company and collaborate across cross-functional teams such as Legal, Operations, Coaching, HR, Engineering and Leadership groups.
What You’ll be doing
- Identifies, researches, and evaluates the accounting treatment for all significant and complex accounting transactions, and reviews technical accounting memorandums to document the company’s position to conclude on accounting impacts and complex accounting matters.
- Participates in brainstorming sessions to gather business requirements need associated with Financial Reporting requirements and public readiness roadmap
- Assists in documentation and maintenance of critical accounting policies (e.g., revenue, refunds and chargebacks, related party transactions, and other topics).
- Assists in analysis of new and proposed accounting standards issued by the SEC and the FASB to determine the impact on the company and implements new accounting standards, as required.
- Performs necessary accounting and reporting research to support functional accounting teams and/or other stakeholders at Noom on the operationalization and implementation of accounting requirements.
- Serves as one of the subject matter experts on complex accounting areas (e.g: Revenue, SBC, 409A valuation and equity compensation, debt conversions, capitalized costs, asset impairments, etc.).
- Supports SOX compliance; mitigates and remediates SOX compliance issues identified through internal and external audit processes.
- Assists in the preparation and review of the Financials Statements and disclosures for external reporting that can potentially be part of Form S-1 filings
- Assist with evaluating the accounting consequences of potential transactions and provide input and suggestions to planned and proposed transaction agreements and other legal matters that will have a material accounting impact to Financial Reporting.
- Assists with special projects as needed.
- Assists with M&A due diligence and Post Merger Integrations (PMI)
- Assist in assessment of external and internal audit findings and assist the Finance team with the development of management action plans, as it relates to accounting policies and remediation plans.
- Coordinates with co-sourced providers, external auditors, internal leaders and process owners to ensure engagement and timely execution of close process, reporting and audit work.
- Develops materials for and facilitates accounting and regulatory update trainings for Noom Accounting Team.
What We’re Looking For:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and/or Finance.
- 9 + total years of experience in a Big4 accounting firm, with Accounting/Finance roles in National office, PCAOB, FASB, IASB, SEC or Consulting/Advisory.
- Experience in preparing or over-seeing SEC compliant financial statements is a plus!
- Experience in International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and UK GAAP is a plus!
- Demonstrated experience, skills and knowledge of technology companies is required
- Experience with subscription based consumer revenue is a plus!
- Experience with complex debt / equity transactions is a plus!
- CPA certification required (in-house, through audit, advisory, or consulting).
- Deep technical accounting experience in financial reporting standards and US GAAP expertise.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and a great team player
- Exposure to senior level audit leadership roles
- Willingness to roll up sleeves to both do the work and manage other people
- Self-motivated, able to think independently, creatively, and opportunistically.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills with a strong attention to detail.
- System savvy and ability to work with different applications and databases.
- Experience with NetSuite or other cloud-based ERP is a plus!
- Experience with Adaptive, Workiva or other reporting tools is a plus!
- Demonstrated ability to work and multi-task in a fast-paced/high growth environment.
- Ability to prioritize and direct limited resources to the most critical areas and issues
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to coach, mentor and develop others. Ability to work collaboratively cross functionally.
The ideal candidate has a strong background in analyzing and interpreting a broad topic of complex accounting guidance with a subject matter expertise on the following issues that impact Noom:
- Revenue, Merchant Fees, Refunds and Chargebacks
- Debt / Equity Transactions, Valuations, and Share-Based Compensations
- R&D expenses and Capitalized Costs
- Business combinations, and IPO readiness
- IFRS and US GAAP reporting
- The candidate has strong attention to detail, analytical skills, organizational skills, and is self-motivated with the ability to provide solutions for issues identified in a timely manner.
- The successful candidate is a competent individual with integrity, accountability, strong interpersonal skills, is a team player, and excels in a fast-paced environment.
- Apply good judgment and logic when adapting accounting policies and procedures to our business.
- Ability to build strong relationships throughout Noom while providing consultation on risks and complex issues associated to Financial Reporting across the organization.
- Communication and collaboration skills will be instrumental to the success of this role. TC should remain open and flexible and listen and accept others’ points of view, having Noom’s best interest at heart.
- Working in a fast-paced and changing environment, being resourceful, and adding value through leverage of technology, data and external resources.
What Makes This Job Amazing:
- Helping millions of people lead healthier lives every day
- Being part of Noom's rocketship (with revenue exploding 20x in the last 2 years, and team growing, there are great opportunities and challenges)
- Wonderful benefits (wellness budget, free meals in the office - meet Chef Sam! - meal budgets while working remotely due to the current pandemic )
- Immense learning & professional growth opportunity (professional growth is a must at Noom, with reimbursements for books and courses, etc.)
- Being part of a transparent, high-performance, yet still close-knit culture
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive salary, equity, and benefits. We guarantee you will learn a tremendous amount in a short time. For those who value and excel in transparent, high-intensity, and high-impact environments, there is significant opportunity for advancement.