Data Science Intern at Saturn Cloud
Saturn Cloud helps companies perform data science at a new level of scale. Our product is a SaaS platform which automates away most of the infrastructure and DevOps work needed to scale Python code with Dask. The platform is user-friendly, scalable and secure.
You will be a Data Scientist (internship position) for Saturn Cloud. Data scientists here are similar to “solutions architects” at other companies. As a data scientist at Saturn Cloud, you’ll work hands-on with our customers to improve the runtime, scalability, and reproducibility of their data science work.
Your responsibilities as a data scientist will vary from week-to-week based on the needs of our customers, but generally you can expect to do any of the following things:
- Work on high-visibility customer-facing projects (e.g. price optimization, and demand forecasting)
- Collaborate with customers to build proof-of-concept applications, data pipelines, or machine learning models using the PyData stack (e.g. Jupyter, pandas, numpy, dask)
- Use Saturn’s product to do data science work, and based on your experience, propose bug fixes, usability improvements, and new features to the engineering team
- Work on public content like blog posts and tutorial videos, in which you use Saturn’s product, Python, other open source software like Docker, and your own expertise to accomplish data science tasks.
- Own cross-functional interactions for your features (across eng/marketing/field/sales)
We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the following:
- Experience learning a new domain and using statistics in a research setting in that domain. How you might demonstrate this:
- You hold a degree in Economics, Computer Science, Statistics, or another discipline.
- You have professional experience in a research setting like a corporate Research & Development team or in a center / lab at a university
- You’ve completed a data science bootcamp
- Proficient in Python, including the PyData ecosystem (at least one of dask, numpy, pandas, pyarrow, scikit-learn, scipy) . How you might demonstrate this:
- You have professional experience where you wrote Python code to accomplish data engineering or machine learning tasks.
- You’ve made contributions to open source projects in the PyData ecosystem, including your own side projects or school projects.
- You’ve performed well in data science competitions such as Kaggle, or published Kaggle kernels.
- You’ve written blog posts which show an ability to use PyData tools to accomplish data engineering or machine learning tasks
- Comfortable reading and writing tabular data stored in files and / or databases. How you might demonstrate this:
- You have professional experience, open source contributions, academic research, or side projects where you:
- wrote Python code to read / write one of these file formats: CSV, feather, parquet, JSON, fixed-width, TSV
- used SQL to access data in a relational database
- Comfortable applying statistical techniques to business problems. How you might demonstrate this:
- You have professional experience where you used statistics to solve business problems by, for example, deploying machine learning models, writing data-drive reports, or publishing a dashboard
- You’ve published an academic paper where you applied statistics to a research question.
- Good communicator (written & visual presentation). How you might demonstrate this:
- You have professional experience where you presented directly to customers or to internal leadership.
- You’ve spoken at conferences or meetups.
- You’ve taught a course or guest lectured in one.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with others. How you might demonstrate this:
- You have professional experience where you worked on projects that required collaboration with coworkers.
- You’ve done academic research where you collaborated with co-authors to produce a paper.
- You’ve co-organized a conference, meetup, or other event.
- Competitive salary commensurate with your growing experience
- Awesome coworkers
- 100% remote
- Open culture with a strong preference for asynchronous communication and respect for work / life boundaries.
Our mission is to transform the businesses of our customers by making data science faster. Founded by some of the creators of Anaconda and core authors of the PyData stack, Saturn provides a powerful data science platform for teams to build and manage data products. We make data scientists happier and their businesses more successful. For more information, visit www.saturncloud.io.