Commercial Counsel, Flexport Capital at Flexport
Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3BN from investors that include the Founders Fund, Google Ventures, First Round Capital, Bloomberg Beta, Y Combinator, & Softbank. With offices in three continents, our team is as global as our client base and we’re excited to continue building a product and service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with committed, encouraging, and resourceful team members.
We’re looking to hire Flexport Capital’s primary legal advisor. Flexport Capital is our rapidly growing lending business that is revolutionizing supply chain financing. You will help define business strategy, advise on regulatory and compliance requirements for product offerings, and negotiate strategic transactions alongside the business. You will also collaborate with attorneys in the U.S. and globally to provide coordinated legal support for other products offerings within the Trade & Financial Services business unit.
This role is a great opportunity for someone with a passion for technology, excellent problem-solving skills and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment that requires cross-functional collaboration across the legal and business teams.What you'll do:
- Serve as Flexport Capital’s primary legal advisor
- Work closely with our business and technology teams, and advise on legal issues in the design and development of existing and future financing products that meet the legal and regulatory requirements
- Assist with developing and implementing overall regulatory strategy and infrastructure, including working closely with our business team as we identify strategic transactions globally
- Provide advice and guidance related to compliance with key banking laws and financial regulations in the U.S. and internationally including commercial lending law, anti-money laundering (AML) regulations as well as, international, federal and state privacy and data security regulations and laws
- Represent the company before various agencies, industry groups, partners and other external audiences
- Manage outside counsel and other advisors.
- Work with the Flexport Capital business team to evaluate new regions and products for expansion
- Serve as a trusted advisor and business partner across the company by providing counsel and guidance for accomplishing Flexport’s overall business objectives
- JD, bar admission to practice, and top academic credentials
- 5+ years of experience at a top tier law firm and/or in-house (or combination; in-house at a technology company is a plus)
- Substantive expertise with SMB lending and the overall commercial lending regulatory landscape
- In-house product counsel experience a strong plus
- Track record as a problem solver and ability to assess risks and provide sound commercially-minded legal advice
- Excellent communication and project management skills, and the ability to work independently
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to coordinate effectively and gain trust and confidence with personnel at many different levels
- Ability to work as a team member of Flexport’s legal department in a scalable, autonomous and accountable manner