Director of Behavioral Health Clinical Operations at Cityblock Health
Covid 19 Update - Please Read:
Cityblock requires those hired into this position to provide proof that they have received the COVID-19 vaccine. Any individuals subject to this requirement may submit for consideration a request to be exempted from the requirement (based on a valid religious or medical reason) on forms to be provided by Cityblock. Such requests will be subject to review and approval by the Company, and exemptions will be granted only if the Company can provide a reasonable accommodation in relation to the requested exemption. Note that approvals for reasonable accommodations are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis and availability of a reasonable accommodation is not guaranteed. This vaccination requirement is based, in part, on recently established government requirements. The requirement is also based on the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine in protecting against COVID-19, and our shared responsibility for the health and safety of members, colleagues, and community.
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
Cityblock’s care model is anchored in best-in-class, team-based member care and lasting engagement; building trust with our membership and engaging traditionally complex populations is crucial to unlocking improved member outcomes and reducing unnecessary medical costs. At Cityblock, the work of our behavioral health team is equally as important as our medical team; multi-disciplinary integration is at the core for our care model.
Cityblock leverages a team-based approach to care, including medical, behavioral, and social care specialities to address member needs. Our care teams “meet our members where they are at” whether that is at their home, in the community, or in one of our Community Hubs. Our approach to care planning is data-driven and patient-centric -- made available by our home-grown care management platform, Commons, which seamlessly surfaces data from claims, electronic health records, health information exchanges and other sources for our teams to action upon.
Cityblock’s unique care model is targeted at serving some of the most complex members of our communities. Our members are typically insured by Medicaid or are Dual-Eligible, and it is not uncommon for our members to have significant behavioral health needs coupled with medical comorbidities as well as social care needs. Substance Use Disorder and Serious Mental Illness are prevalent behavioral health conditions among the populations we serve.
The Director, Behavioral Health Clinical Operations will help design and implement behavioral health management programs that improve health outcomes for Cityblock members. You will be an operating leader who drives innovations to fill the gaps for members struggling with behavioral and mental health conditions. You will also partner with the Market teams to continuously augment the behavioral health narrative that highlights clinician expertise, high quality and member centered care, intersecting social care, medical care and behavioral health care.
You will lead the implementation and management of behavioral health integration through all that we do as well as build specialized care teams across the care continuum, including outpatient and sub-acute inpatient crisis behavioral health capacity, mobile care teams, virtual care teams. You will work with key internal and external stakeholders, including health plan partners. They will also recruit, train and mentor additional BH clinicians, as well as evaluate various partnerships and collaborations with market leaders in behavioral health. This position will report to the Head of Behavioral Health.
Specifically you will:
- Build and lead programs to drive meaningful behavioral health care, in a value-based model, for lower-income populations nationwide, with a particular focus on serious mental illness and substance use disorders and other behavioral health integration models, across virtual, mobile and hub-based modalities. This strategy includes implementing:
- Intensive services for members with serious mental illness and/or substance use disorders. Key interventions may include long acting injectable antipsychotics for those with psychotic disorders, medication assisted treatment, and care management.
- Routine and enhanced clinical capacity for opioid and substance use disorder care, including cross-training all Cityblock providers in medication assisted treatment (MAT), contingency management, overdose education, and care management.
- Behavioral health integration into Cityblock and network primary care providers through approaches such as the collaborative care model (CCM) and virtual care delivery integration.
- Crisis behavioral health capacity, including outpatient crisis response and sub-acute inpatient capacity, and virtual care and mobile crisis response.
- Risk-models to assume total cost of care risk for members with both serious mental illness and substance use disorders.
- Work closely with market behavioral health leads to ensure all teams are delivering on key performance indices. This will involve regular meetings to closely review performance dashboards to proactively monitor performance.
- Act as a self-starter, building project plans and timelines to tie strategy to implementation.
- Manage multiple projects, both quality improvement initiatives and new intervention pilots, to ensure reliable and innovative behavioral health services.
- Work collaboratively throughout the organization, including with data, people, talent, operations, product, design and other internal facing teams to ensure effective behavioral health operations.
- Develop training materials for all disciplines at Cityblock on behavioral health strategies, programming offered, as well as continuing education for our team to practice the most effective and efficient care for members.
- Maintain external orientation with customers and work cross-functionally with leaders in growth, platform, product, and finance to develop new programs for behavioral health members.
- Attend Market meetings, conferences, and additional venues as needed to meet business objectives.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and ability to articulate complex concepts with simplicity to cross-functional audiences, working effectively with all levels of management and team members.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and tasks, persevering through ambiguity to understand customer strategies and translate business and clinical needs into results.
- Ability to balance overarching big picture with keen attention to detail.
- Extracting, collecting, analyzing, and interpreting health, utilization, and financial data to inform product performance.
Requirements for the Role:
- 7+ years professional experience
- 3+ years in Behavioral Health Strategy plus clinical degree (MD, DO, PhD, PsyD, PA-C, LICSW, LCSW)
- Proven ability to communicate clearly verbally and in written form
- Demonstrated ability to build strong, long lasting relationships with a variety of team members
- Ability to work with, interpret and communicate about data and analytics
- Proven success making good, timely decisions in a rapidly changing, sometimes ambiguous environment
- Analytical and conceptual problem-solving skills, with ability to anticipate needs and make tradeoffs
How We Define Success:
- Within 3 months - in partnership with key stakeholders, finalize dashboards for market behavioral health leads. Maintain over time.
- Build and manage behavioral health programs that hold Transition of Care performance accountability
- Deliver on quality outcomes for each markets.
- Team building and development of values-aligned team culture
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- 10+ years professional experience
- MPH/MBA or similar advanced degree preferred
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.