The Director of Resident Operations will work closely with the Executive Team -- to define company strategy and achieve aggressive business goals.
Property Management is an industry notorious for its poor customer service (average industry NPS is 8). Owners and residents alike dislike and mistrust their property managers, and often for good reason. Defining and demonstrating a new standard for the customer experience in this space is a core reason Great Jones exists -- and is impinged upon an unparalleled resident experience, enabled by a combination of streamlined and automated processes. In this role you will own the realization of this vision -- a transparent, professional, delightful resident experience that fuels growth and makes Great Jones a household name in the real estate investor community.
This is an exciting challenge for a customer-obsessed strategic operator. The customer experience is the sum of many high-touch interactions with real complexity and in diverse contexts. To deliver a high-NPS experience is to make being a Great Jones resident as simple and straightforward as possible, amid all this complexity.
As Director of Resident Operations you will oversee all aspects of the resident experience, managing and developing a first-class distributed team. You’ll architect and build out the tools and systems to minimize operational defects that can lead to an inconsistent or suboptimal resident experience. Your scope will include managing the Onboarding, Collections, Evictions, Move-outs, and Renewals teams -- and have an opportunity to influence and define Great Jones’s policies in a time when the industry lacks true leadership and values around housing issues critical to empowering economic and racial equality.
We have already become the fastest-growing consumer-focused property manager in our operating regions. Now, it is time to multiply our footprint while getting deeper and deeper in each market, building a memorable experience and reputation among our owners and residents along the way.
Your team’s work -- delivering high NPS experiences in a context with real underlying operational complexity -- will be an absolutely crucial part of Great Jones’ success.
This role is based in our New York City HQ and will be responsible for managing teams across NYC, Florida, and our offshore operation.
- Own the quality of the experience for our property owners and their residents, as measured by Net Promoter Score and customer retention (...and in some cases, upsell)
- Build a scalable playbook for customer support, finding the right blend of standardization and customization amid a landscape of unique customers, properties, and needs
- Set, report on, and hold your team accountable to aggressive KPIs that directly drive company-level NPS and retention goals
- Define SLAs (ex. response times, resolution times, general customer expectations) and develop the processes that achieve them
- Partner with our Product, Engineering, and Design teams to productize and scale your team’s work
- Manage a team of 10+ Customer Support Reps; double the team within your first year
- Design and own the effectiveness of our “customer support stack” -- phone, email and any other channels or tools we should consider for customer communication
- Translate our company core values into a customer-facing ethos and ensure all customer-facing communications meet the standards you’ve set (Integrity above all, Owner empathy, Fresh perspective, Never settle and Radical accountability)
- At least 6-8+ years in impactful customer experience leadership roles at high-growth, customer-centric, companies.
- … with at least 2-3+ years managing an Operations and/or customer support team
- Experience delivering excellence within a context of complex, diverse customer-facing operations
- A proven track record of people leadership. Experience leading some team members remotely and delivering strong outcomes, is a plus
- Ability to attract strong talent for a variety of roles and manage your team to do exceptional, highly motivated work, while getting your hands dirty along the way
- Experience working with product to design software solutions for customer benefit
- Extremely high intellectual and creative horsepower
- You are energized by the challenges above, namely scaling high NPS experiences
- You have maniacal customer focus and crave the opportunity to make owners and residents feel as though their personal concerns were addressed individually and uniquely, despite having ideally handled them through structured workflows and tools
- You are unfazed by learning a complex new industry, including regulatory requirements that can differ by market
- You are excited to execute hands-on to learn quickly and achieve real wins in a fast-paced environment
- You think in terms of playbooks and how to productize the delivery of exceptional service experiences. You are on an unending quest for process improvement
- You are known for rolling up your sleeves and persisting through anything that gets in your way; no balls are dropped in your organization because at last resort, nothing gets past you
- As an attentive listener, you enjoy how being on the front line allows you and your team to relay the voice of the customer through your thoughtful synthesis
- You are ego-free -- a strong collaborator who values great ideas from all people at all levels of the organization
- Strong analytical background, including the ability to break down and work through complex problems in a structured manner, using both quantitative and qualitative methods
- Ability to see the big picture while maintaining close attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Exceptionally well-organized
About Great Jones:
Great Jones brings ease and performance to rental ownership and living, starting by reinventing property management for the several trillion (!) dollars in rental homes owned by small-scale investors.
We’re replacing an experience that has historically been heavily operational, low-tech, and stressful with one delivered through modern software, thoughtful experience design, real benefits of scale, and the right blend of local & centralized operations.
By providing a seamless, full-service experience for owners and residents, we aim to make ownership worry-free and more profitable for the 25 million Americans who own rental homes. In doing so, we become the operating system around our owners’ most valuable investments, as well as our residents’ homes.
And we’re doing this within an enormous addressable market, with highly attractive unit economics, where competition is deeply fragmented and notorious for subpar service.
We are growing rapidly with nationwide expansion on deck -- headquartered in Manhattan with on-the-ground operations in 20 markets across 9 states.
Our leadership team has built digital platforms and operational machines that have powered hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of transactions for marketplace businesses like 1stdibs, Skillshare, and Warby Parker.
We’ve raised over $30 million (including our recently closed Series B) from top investors including Crosslink Capital, Navitas Capital, Zigg Capital, Juxtapose, and top NYC angels & real estate entrepreneurs including Kevin Ryan, David Rosenblatt, and Jason Finger, who have founded or led companies such as Seamless, Gilt Groupe, MongoDB, DoubleClick, 1stdibs, Floored, and others.