At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
You have extensive experience starting and operationalizing digital brokerages, and a deep knowledge of the small group health insurance space. You can conceptualize and communicate a high level strategy, while knowing the intricacies of operating a brokerage and executing with incredible precision. You appreciate a healthy balance between technology, operations, and human centric customer service. You have an eye for detail and emphasize accuracy in everything you do. You love working closely with others and ensuring that everyone is on the same page in order to drive success - you see yourself as “in the same corner” as other functions. You have a strong background in technology and insurance and are eager to leverage that knowledge in a data-driven, entrepreneurial environment.
As the Head of Brokerage and Carrier Operations for the Benefits Platform Team, you will own the ongoing operations of our insurance brokerage. Your role will be a combination of ensuring we fulfill our ongoing responsibilities as a licensed brokerage, while building the team, systems, and processes needed to scale and support more customers across multiple insurance lines.
The Benefits Platform Team is a new investment at Justworks, and operates as an autonomous and tight knit cross-functional unit. The team is responsible for accelerating the growth of the core business by building and running a new, hyper flexible benefits platform and brokerage that will serve as the launch pad for multiple new products, services, and partnerships over the next 5 years.Your Success ProfileWhat You Will Work On
- Define a strategy on how we will scale our brokerage operations across multiple markets and insurance lines, collaborating with our GTM lead, Program Manager, and ProdEng team to ensure a seamless customer experience
- Be the liaison between Justworks and insurance carriers - understanding where they are investing and their goals, and how their producer platforms work, and interpreting their business rules and requirements for our ProdEng team.
- Foster strong relationships with key Sales and Technology leaders at carriers in our target markets, using those relationships to negotiate more efficient ways to send and receive data from the carriers.
- Hire / build an Operations team who will serve as the experts on how data is sent, received, and processed by carriers, and who will keep the integrations between us and carriers running like a well oiled machine.
- Collaborate with other internal stakeholders who work on our broker ecosystem, to ensure we remain a strong partner to the broker community
- Keep a finger on the pulse of all things group health insurance, from carriers to point solutions
As a Head of Brokerage and Carrier Operations for the Benefits Platform Team, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Solution-oriented - identifies the source of a question or challenge and provides the right, or a better, way of doing things.
- Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Risk assessment - applying a logical step-by-step process to protect, and consequently minimize risks to, the organization, interests and employees.
- Consultative - takes an approach that focuses on building relationships with others, understanding their problems, and developing solutions to their challenges through open-ended questions and active listening.
- Adaptability - the ability to adjust your approach or actions in response to changes in your external environment.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 10 years working within a Ben Admin company or tech enabled brokerage, in an operations role
- Minimum of 3 years building out an Ops team, and associated systems / processes from scratch
- Demonstrated ability to work with health insurance carriers and be both resourceful and persuasive while dealing with their constraints
- Comprehensive knowledge of responsibilities and services expected from a brokerage, as dictated by states, carriers, and the expectations of customers
- Highly analytical, using data to back up thinking
- Experience working directly with a ProdEng team, especially one building a new product
- Experience going 0 to 1, seeing a tech company through multiple stages of growth is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to work cross functionally across all functions / levels
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Our DEI Commitment