Principal, Global Real Estate and Office Services at Gemini
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a cryptocurrency platform that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 40 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
The Department: Global Security Operations
In the emerging industry of digital assets, there is nothing more important than trust (which is why Gemini’s very first hires were Security experts). The Gemini Security team forms the backbone of all that we do and is as diverse as the number of challenges we tackle in the crypto space. From security architecture and engineering to maintenance of cold storage systems and data centers to cybersecurity, enterprise risk security, and litigation support, our team ensures that our customers, clients, and employees are safe, secure, and supported.
The Role: Principal, Global Real Estate and Office Services
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to manage the growth of Gemini’s Global Real Estate portfolio of leased offices, data centers and co-working spaces in NA, APAC, LATAM, and the EU. This position will lead all transactional aspects with our real estate brokers. The position will lead our Office Optional occupancy strategy and provide leadership to the team of office managers to cover a range of responsibilities including day-to-day facilities management and design and construction of new spaces.
The ideal candidate will be exceptional at “bringing the entire firm” to the management of our portfolio and leveraging Gemini’s recently developed Workplace Strategy to optimize our portfolio in a highly cost-efficient manner. This role will collaborate with key disciplines including the Office of the COO, our Physical Security Org and People Ops to ensure that we create employee environments that enable us to attract, develop and maintain talent.
3 Areas of Focus:
Real Estate Management: Drive the rightsizing of our Global Real Estate portfolio to reflect the changing number of employees we have in each location in countries where we have employees. Direct internal and external resources to prepare real estate recommendations and manage the negotiations to secure needed space on budget in a timely manner. Manage all office build outs to Gemini’s workplace standard. Manage WeWork and other 3rd party co-working vendors globally.
Office Services & Facilities Management: Manage the operations of the enterprise facilities: maintenance, repairs, utilities, energy management, furniture, building access, food & beverage, and any other relevant vendor services.
Office Optional Management:
Partner with Tech Ops to ensure that office technology functions seamlessly for remote and onsite employees.
Partner with Physical Security to develop and manage COVID Safety policies and protocols.
Manage desk reservation and contract tracing tool - Robin.
- Direct internal and external resources to prepare real estate recommendations on the right real estate needs and manage the negotiations to secure spaces on budget in a timely manner.
- Implement and execute strategic vendor management objectives that support business goals, including, but not limited to, ensuring superior service quality, advancing category maturity, and managing costs.
- Manage regular communications with senior leadership regarding changes to the real estate portfolio and budget.
- Prepare and deliver recommendations based on clear synthesis of facts, analyses and employee concerns.
- Develop and improve Gemini’s workplace standard playbook.
- Lead scope definition, planning, budget development and project management for new office or facility space planning, moves, fit-outs, renovations and new equipment installations.
- Clearly communicate the progress of monthly and quarterly initiatives to internal stakeholders.
- Ensure new offices are selected in alignment with Gemini’s strategic growth plan, meet brand standards and are within expected operating cost structure.
- Ensure all real estate leases are optimized with regard to ongoing payments and contractual obligations. Manage process to identify potential at-risk real estate moves and renewals to ensure timely transaction completion. Manage restorations as required when vacating.
- Work closely with Finance in preparing and managing annual budgets and financial analysis (NPV/IRR) on economic value of multiple transaction scenarios.
- Coordinate preparation of lease agreements with Legal and Procurement Departments
- Directly supervise up to 2 office managers/team leads and oversea the Facilities team across the globe.
- International travel (around 25-30%) to visit our other global offices as well as help with building out new international offices.
- Degree in facility/property management, real estate management or related field.
- 5+ years managing real estate portfolios across a large geographic area, including a corporate headquarters; international experience preferred as several of Gemini’s offices are outside of the US.
- Track record leading lease negotiations and following up on contractual lease obligations.
- Strong experience leading procurement efforts, negotiating and managing multi-million dollar budgets with a track record of driving multi-million dollar savings YoY.
- Construction/capital project management experience, managing space planning and move processes, architects, design and engineering teams and contractors. Experience with data centers, fulfillment warehouses and corporate headquarter locations preferred.
- Able to effectively work with multiple remote teams across a region.
- Detail-oriented, flexible, creative, fast-paced, customer-first, able to work effectively with both C-suite management as well as junior support staff.
- Excellent communication/presentation and strong spreadsheet/analytic skills.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.