Senior Associate, Market Risk Quantitative Analytics at Gemini
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
The Department: Risk
Protection - for our clients and our company - forms the linchpin of our business at Gemini. Our Risk department plays a critical role in proactively identifying, mitigating, and managing the firm’s exposure, both internally and externally. Leveraging data, engineering, and intellectual horsepower, our Risk team is building a robust second line of defense in a first-of-its kind industry; our goal: safeguard Gemini so that we can continue to revolutionize the future of money.
The Role: Senior Associate, Market Risk Quantitative Analytics
Gemini is looking for a Sr. Associate to be part of the risk management function. The risk management function works closely with various teams across Gemini including products, operations, engineering, compliance and audit to manage inherent risks in processes of the Company. We are looking for someone who can bring technical expertise and risk management while at the same time a critical, quantitative and hands-on approach to manage market risk of Gemini. The role will require implementing technical solutions for real-time risk monitoring. The role provides an exciting opportunity to understand and build risk monitoring infrastructure of an evolving asset class. The individual will use his/ her experience, analytical skills and technical ability to support processes like VaR calculation, stress testing for traded products.
- Analyze portfolios and strategies to understand the drivers of risk and develop reports that summarize the risk profiles and to facilitate efficient risk management as well as improve understanding of portfolio.
- Significant part of the job will require analyzing large structured and unstructured datasets, such as internal trade/market data, and running numerical simulations and statistical analysis.
- Help design and improve stress testing, Value at Risk and various limit frameworks for portfolios of diverse products and strategies.
- Work with Risk Managers and developers on the design and development of risk management and infrastructure.
- Evaluate and validate risk calculations and models to ensure the soundness and correct application of the models.
- Conduct research to develop innovative risk management approaches, tools, and analytics to better manage risk and deliver those research findings to senior management.
- Undergraduate or higher degree in a quantitative discipline
- 3+ years of work experience in a quantitative research, trading, or risk management capacity
- Strong background in statistics, math, and econometrics
- High level of proficiency in quantitative programming (Python, MATLAB, R)
- Ability to understand financial risk and quantify them.
- The ability to manage multiple tasks independently and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to proactively seek new ideas and solutions to improve the status quo
- Strong work ethics – reliable and accountable, pay attention to details
- Strong communications skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work cooperatively with all levels of staff as part of a team
- A commitment to the highest ethical standards and to act with professionalism and integrity
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.