Senior Manager, Events
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
We are seeking a talented Senior Events Manager who has a passion for theSkimm’s mission to help women lead smarter lives. This individual will lead the efforts in creating and executing our events strategy – that means bringing the voice of theSkimm in IRL formats to life and for supporting advertiser growth through event-based marketing strategies. In this role you report to the VP of Content Studios.
This position requires an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for our mission, strong experience with B2B sales and marketing, project management, an eye for detail, excellent communication skills, and experience in executing small- and large-scale events. The ideal candidate will have a background in event planning and execution.
The Senior Events Manager will bring theSkimm to life in a form that is on-brand for our company. As such, it is important the candidate can develop event concepts that are on-brand and in-line with our mission to help women lead smarter lives. This is a unique opportunity for someone who is interested in the challenge of building an events business and events team from scratch for a well-known and highly recognizable brand.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Build and execute a holistic events program by managing all aspects of event production, inclusive of planning, budgeting, execution and post-event reconciliation
- Create event concept that will appeal to both our advertising clients and consumer audience
- Work closely with sales and marketing leads to secure the right mix of events based on business goals, priorities and expected impact
- Source vendor options, develop RFPs, evaluate bids, negotiate and execute contracts
- Maintain continuous communication with key internal stakeholders for cross-functional alignment
- Track and analyze key sales and marketing metrics and event performance with oversight of department budget and responsibility for reporting to ensure that all campaigns are data driven
- Streamline event processes and operations by using tools to reduce costs and improve efficiencies
- Management responsibilities over other more junior members of the team
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 5-7 years of experience executing B2B events in the tech or media space
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, teamwork, and project management skills
- Excellent budget management, tracking and reporting skills
- Experience with a wide array of live news-making and social events for high profile people and organizations
- Proven track record collaborating with goal-oriented and creative cross-functional team members
- Excellent leadership skills with experience managing and building events teams
- Can adapt to shifting priorities, demands and timelines in a high-pressure environment
- Demonstrable expertise in scaling an events program with a particular focus on providing a superior consumer audience experience while also meeting the needs of the business
- Deep understanding of the logistics and production complexities of events (inclusive of production tools, AV, show-calling, etc.) with the ability to flawlessly execute
- Expertise and comfort working with creative and experience teams
- Frequent travel
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.