Senior Manager, Workplace Experience and Operations (New York) at Cockroach Labs
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open-source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?About the Role
Cockroach Labs cares deeply about providing our employees with space to do their best work, whether in a Cockroach Labs office or at home. The Workplace Experience and Operations team is responsible for ensuring our employees’ experience is productive, engaging, and fun. We strive to make sure our office operations always run smoothly and effectively and pride ourselves on getting the job done by solving problems on the go.
The Senior Manager, Workplace Experience and Operations will be responsible for providing our employees with a fantastic remote experience today while preparing for a hybrid employee experience in the future. You lean into ambiguity in a dynamic and face-paced environment. You are willing to get in the weeds of the day-to-day site operation responsibilities while thinking strategically about how the workplace needs to scale to support our growing team.
What does Workplace Experience and Operations mean during a pandemic?
Our company was founded with a strong preference for Roachers to be in the office, collaborating and working alongside their team members. With the global pandemic in 2020, we challenged this preference and proved that where you do work is flexible. In most cases, the physical workplace at Cockroach Labs is not required to work. Instead, the workplace provides a space where people can share experiences in a physical, centralized location. In our Cockroach Labs owned workplaces, we co-create flexible places and inspiring spaces that support healthy engagements. While we support workplace flexibility, we understand that there are employees who value the office environment. These employees and required in-office roles continue to have access to a Cockroach Labs office as their workplace.
Our Workplace Experience and Operations team is currently located in NYC. All members are required to have the availability to work onsite. Through the remainder of 2020, our offices are only available to essential employees, including employees with unproductive at-home work environments. Cockroach Labs currently supports in-office experiences in New York, San Francisco, and Toronto.You Will
- Lead, manage, and develop the Workplace Experience and Operations team in NYC, creating a positive workplace experience in-office and remotely.
- Own workplace operations and space planning, project management, and office expansion plans for our growing employee population. Must actively prepare for growth in all Cockroach Labs locations, including New York, San Francisco, and Toronto.
- Consider improvements for a multi-facility and remote operations and lead programs to enhance the employee experience in each location while applying judgment as to which efforts should be prioritized.
- In physical locations, ensure the office's effectiveness, which includes but is not limited to keeping all office equipment up-to-date and functional, managing installations and repairs, and working with onsite vendors.
- Engage with employees and managers to ensure their workplace needs are met, identify new initiatives to elevate the employee experience both in physical offices and those working from home.
- Develop and manage maintenance and emergency programs (emergency response plans, annual budget, etc.) to ensure business continuity.
- Serve as the point of contact for vendors, including catering, cleaning services, electricians/plumbers, IT assistance, and all contractors needed to run the office, and negotiate third-party contracts with vendors.
- Partner with our Landlord or key stakeholders to explore better use of the space and organize repairs.
- Manage a budget for equipment, expansion, and capitalized expenses and assume ownership of the facilities-related account payable process. Manage budgets, submit monthly expense reports, track spending, find savings opportunities, and provide support for budget development.
- Lead multiple projects at one time and delegate tasks as needed.
- When safe to travel, expect travel of up to 20% to our office locations in San Francisco and Toronto.
In your first 30 days, you will transition into your role with the guidance and resources from our Workplace Operations Manager. You will absorb the knowledge of our site operations, vendor relationships, and more to better understand our scaling plan and our teams' needs as we expand, both locally and in other locations as well as at home. You will also begin meeting with external architects and real estate partners to discuss our office's expansion plans in NYC. In parallel, you will be brainstorming on office requirements for San Francisco and Toronto.
After your first 30 days, you will be functioning with our site's management in NYC for essential employees. You will continuously be monitoring support for our remote employees to ensure at-home productivity. We expect you to have identified plans for our return to office strategy in 2021 and have begun actively progressing with this strategy.
After your first 60 days, you will be integrated with the team, requiring little guidance in your day-to-day. Throughout your first three months, you will build trusted relationships with our employees and our executive team by communicating your workplace experience vision and making a direct impact on how we physically scale our workplace operations.You Have
- Minimum of 7-10+ years of relevant work experience, ideally with a combination of real estate, facilities, and operations at a fast-growing organization, including significant vendor management experience.
- Excellent project management skills with a clear vision, excellent attention to detail, great organizational skills, and solid judgment capabilities.
- Strong budgeting, purchasing, and forecasting skills, ability to negotiate lease contracts, and to identify risks or concerns in potential options.
- Experience designing, implementing, and overseeing in-office experiences, including events and facilities, and working with vendors.
- People management skills & experience, including hiring, performance management, and coaching/mentoring.
- A thought leader who is not afraid to get your hands dirty with a passion for building communities and making workplaces operate seamlessly.
- Knowledge of OSHA, EH+S, FDA, and other standards and regulations.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including ability to write department operational procedures and maintenance plans.
Reporting to Lindsay Grenawalt - Chief People Officer
Lindsay focuses on attracting, developing, and retaining the best possible talent for Cockroach Labs. She was first exposed to the world of startups at Google Ventures then moving to Yext as the VP of People Operations, where she was responsible for growing the company from 150 to over 400 employees across the United States, the Netherlands, and the UK. When she is not at work, you can find her exploring the culinary delights of New York and attempting to recreate them at home.Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected].