Technical Product Manager, Teams at Stack Overflow
Hiring region: US-remote, UK-remote
At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get answers to their questions, work more efficiently with their team, or find a new job, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. As a technical product manager at Stack Overflow, you’ll create and build inclusive products and features that directly impact the work and the lives of those developers.
In this particular role, you’ll be leading the Platform team dedicated to the Stack Overflow for Teams product. Stack Overflow for Teams gives organizations a private, secure home for their team’s questions and answers, as well as a robust set of tools to manage their community. Our customers include Microsoft, Bloomberg, and many other Fortune 500 names.
We’re constantly exploring new features, optimizing the in-product experience for both new and existing users, and making investments in our infrastructure, release practices, and platform. We also recently added a Freemium tier as part of our product led transformation which resulted in a huge customer boost.
You will be integrated into a highly talented development team which includes site reliability engineers (dev-ops folks) focused on building and maintaining the Teams platform to support our growth and scale both in terms of customers and sales. You will build a vision for the platform, gather and prioritize requirements from stakeholders, and maintain the application support structure. This means getting in the trenches and participating in activities across the board. This is a great opportunity to work on a product with a wide variety of features and complex problems with a team that’s excited to solve them.
The ideal candidate has prior experience in technology offerings and is ideally familiar with both on-prem and hosted mode of delivery, and has exposure to B2B SaaS products.
You’ll have the opportunity to do a lot. Here’s what you can expect during your first year:
- First Month: Get onboarded and brought up to speed on our current plans. You’ll spend a lot of time learning about our products, building rapport with the product, engineering, release management, sales, customer success, and product support teams, and contributing to small features.
- Next 3 Months: Establish a new, dedicated Teams Platform team. Acquire a deep understanding of the biggest opportunities and pain points for our internal stakeholders and customers across our premium tiers, and create a short-term roadmap. You’ll speak with internal users, stakeholders, write specs & user stories, and build and deliver functionality with your team.
- Next 8 months: You will take a leadership role developing the long-term roadmap for your product team. You’ll be involved not just in product development, but in defining long-term strategy, improving our processes, and advocating for the best way to enable our customers by creating a robust platform that powers the Teams product suite.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with the product team and key stakeholders to execute on the overall strategy for Stack Overflow for Teams
- Establish and lead a new Platform team supporting the Teams suite
- Build a product roadmap, maintain a backlog of projects, and manage the priorities for your team owning implementation, enhancement, and support of the Teams platform
- Partner with our engineering team to build and deliver features and improvements
- Work closely with various stakeholders across release management, test automation, product support, sales and customer success to align strategy and priorities
- Research industry best practices from a platform standpoint for B2B SaaS subscription-based systems
- Coordinate with business stakeholders and continuously make sure your team is delivering according to the constantly growing needs of the business
What we need to see:
- 4+ years in a technical product management or a related role on deeply technical systems
- Experience with subscription-based platforms/systems in an ecommerce environment, building web application at scale
- Exceptional communication skills, follows up with stakeholders and team members, and takes initiative to anticipate and solve problems
- Excellent spec-writing skills with a clear ability to break down complex problems into smaller, manageable pieces
- Familiarity with scrum/agile methodologies
- Exposure to cloud based deployments and on-prem setup preferred
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, related engineering degree or equivalent experience is a huge plus
- We’re a distributed, remote team and you’ll be part of a work culture that emphasizes online & asynchronous communication with minimal meetings and ceremonies
- We’re generally very flexible on working hours, though we do ask everyone on the team to maintain an overlap of (at least) 10AM - 1PM US Eastern time
- We don’t consider applications without cover letters - please make sure to include yours and talk about why you want to work here!
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (12-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free in-network health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for technologists to learn, share their knowledge, collaborate, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers and technologists visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
Our products and tools help developers and technologists in life and at work. These include Stack Overflow for Teams, which focuses on knowledge management and collaboration, and Reach & Relevance, which focuses on developer marketing, community development, and employer branding.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have an office in New York (currently closed due to the pandemic) with some of the best amenities and we have people who work remotely all over the world.
Our core values guide our work.
- Keep Community at Our Center: Community is at the heart of everything we do. Nurture healthy communities where everyone is encouraged to learn and give back.
- Adopt a Customer-First Mindset: Authentically serve our customers by empowering, listening and collaborating with our fellow Stackers.
- Be Flexible and Inclusive: We do our best work when a diverse group of people collaborate in an environment of respect and trust. Create space for different voices to be heard, and allow flexibility in how people work.
- Be Transparent: Communicate openly and honestly, both inside and outside the company. Encourage transparency from others by being empathetic, reliable, and acting with integrity.
- Empower People to Deliver Outstanding Results: Give people space to get their job done, support them when they need it, and practice blameless accountability.
- Learn, Share, and Grow: Adopt a Growth Mindset. Be curious and eager to learn. Aim for ethical, sustainable, long-term growth, both personally and in the company
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.