Developer Advocate at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about building and engaging communities of developers and excited to work with founders of startups.
Reporting to the Manager, Developer Relations, your primary role will be to engage with and understand DigitalOcean’s community of more than 3.5 million developers and create opportunities for positive, meaningful interactions and memorable experiences. As a Developer Advocate you will be responsible for establishing and strengthening relationships with members of the developer community, with an intention to increase brand awareness and adoption of our platform and support our customers’ growth, through evangelism, education, product marketing, and general community engagement. You will help developers in interactive, hands-on, in-person and virtual environments, share knowledge through educational programs, foster new connections and inspire ideas through live events and code. You will relay developer feedback from the community directly to the DigitalOcean product team, which will inform our product and engineering roadmap and ultimately benefit customers. The ideal candidate should be enthusiastic about free and open source software and have an intimate understanding of developers and a large capacity to empathize with their unique challenges and opportunities.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Represent DigitalOcean to the greater developer community through in-person engagement and online content.
- Act as a technical advisor and mentor to developers of all skill levels -- from beginners to experts.
- Leverage your breadth of technical knowledge to prepare and deliver talks/workshops/webinars to developer communities around the world, while continuously developing yourself as a person and a professional.
- Collaborate directly with product, marketing, and other internal teams to share developer feedback and shape how we design, build, and market products.
- You're a highly motivated self-starter, always looking for the next thing to which you’d like to devote your heart and mind. You can own and drive initiatives with minimal guidance and direction, but know yourself well enough to ask for help when appropriate.
- A hunger for learning and a mantra of "right tool, right job". You're on top of the latest and greatest but still have opinions and preferences on what you reach for to achieve a goal and/or solve a problem.
- The ability to convey your technical credibility while remaining humble.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with a knack for breaking down complicated concepts into digestible, approachable explanations.
- Flexibility with work and travel schedules, coupled with a commitment to self-care.
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Marketing team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!