Head of Learning & Development at Cityblock Health
Cityblock Health is a new type of healthcare company, operating out of Brooklyn and backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs, along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to radically improve the health of urban communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we bring the capability to deliver care in the home and neighborhood with our field-based teams.
In close collaboration with community based organizations and a leading commercial partner, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. We deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services through a network of neighborhood hubs with deep community-based partnerships and world-class technology.
We partner with payers and at-risk providers, taking capitated financial risk to care for their most vulnerable, high and rising risk members. Additionally, we invest in strategic partnerships with community-based and social services organizations, in some instances bringing them into the value equation through sub-capitation and performance-based compensation.
Cityblock is seeking an innovative, thoughtful and engaging leader who can build an interdisciplinary team to deliver learning, communication and knowledge experiences that drive performance across a highly distributed organization.
Learning is an imperative for our business -- our interdisciplinary care model requires an equally interdisciplinary learning model. Our people are not sitting in a static environment, but instead are constantly moving, engaging and working to help our members. We’re looking for someone to help us build a learning function that intertwines with our people’s lives, adding value and minimizing wasted time. Although that means we’re looking for someone with strong digital experience, we also know that the skills we want to teach require in-person engagement. Therefore, the successful candidate will need to balance digital delivery with in-person delivery, finding ways to integrate both modalities into their strategy.
The team we envision building, would consist of the following functions (though we recognize all of this is subject to change based upon the direction of the leader we eventually hire):
- Market Training & Development -- trainers, devoted to markets, focused on helping to deliver content and work with managers to drive performance
- Operations -- manage the overall operations for a large set of delivery needs
- Content Development -- instructional, graphic and content designers to turn SME input into learning experiences that drive development
- Program Management -- build out a program / learning product management function to manage big pieces of the infrastructure
Cityblock’s future growth will be exponential, not incremental, and so this team will be responsible for building a learning function and learning processes that can scale. Starting while the growth is still incremental, will give the leader a chance to prepare for the exponential. We are making a big investment in this function, and are looking for a leader to take on this unique challenge.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
- Build an innovative and interdisciplinary learning and development team at Cityblock
- Drive the ongoing strategy and implementation for Cityblock’s orientation and assimilation processes and build out the ongoing training path for all employees
- In partnership with company leadership, effectively manage prioritization of content creation and delivery across markets
- Lead a team to deliver multi-modal and technology-enabled learning experiences
- Develop an innovative culture that thrives on experimentation and strong execution
- Create a set of metrics and analytics to measure progress and provide insight for improving learning products
- Build a subject matter expert engagement process to ensure that all areas -- clinical, operations, community or behavioral health, technology and leadership -- have curriculum that helps drive improvement in performance and eventually patient outcomes
- Build a content development team that other internal orgs can utilize (Communications, People, etc)
- Deploy scalable digital and in-person learning solutions
- Deeply understand Cityblock’s culture, distributed workforces, diverse members/consumers and product technology
- Partner with the people team, market leadership, and clinical leadership to ensure that the learning strategy is aligned with each team’s goals
You’d be a good fit if:
- You have experience building and leading an interdisciplinary learning function
- You have a strong ability to turn business strategy into learning strategy
- You are a great leader of people and role model for other people managers
- You have experience leading a large, distributed training function
- You are a great partner to leaders throughout the organization
- Strong communicator
- Experience working in a start-up environment
- You are deeply data-driven and outcomes oriented
- You are a strong cross-functional leader and a builder of great teams
Nice to have:
- Experience with highly-distributed workforces in a tech-enabled environment
- Product management / technology build experience
- Healthcare experience
Please include in your application:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.