Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $2 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better.com is growing and we’re looking for a Director of Underwriting to join our Mortgage team. If you’re looking to make an impact alongside a collaborative team that’s transforming the homeownership industry, check us out. We are looking for an organized leader who is comfortable leading by example, while operating from a bird’s eye view.
Beyond producing high-quality loans and managing priorities, our goal is to build a product that will ultimately reduce the cost of homeownership in America. To do this, we need you to wear many hats, ranging from a visionary redesigning the needlessly complex mortgage process; a data analyst uncovering how to make the most impact; to a problem solver working with highly skilled engineers and industry experts to resolve technical and operational challenges.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead a large cohort of Managers of Managers, Managers & Underwriters who will underwrite and be the decision agency on conforming and non-conforming residential mortgage loans
- Lead the East Coast Underwriting Department, across our Charlotte and New York City Offices; provide coaching and feedback to improve the underwriting workflow, efficiency, and problem resolution
- Provide leadership and direction to create and develop high-performing Underwriting Managers and overall Underwriting Department
- Manage strategic initiatives & come up with new processes that drive efficiency
- Develop creative and innovative ways to improve team performance
- Manage and monitor overall performance metrics and pipeline management
- Manage business unit priorities and achieve long term goals
- Develop and improve cohort productivity and performance
We are looking for an enthusiastic, driven, and resourceful Director of Underwriting to accelerate our rapidly growing organization. This person will partner closely with the Head of Underwriting and lead our East Coast Underwriting Managers to ensure efficient production across the business unit. We are looking for an experienced and proven leader that is comfortable managing people and driving
- 10+ years of experience underwriting FNMA, FHLMC, and non-conforming mortgages
- 5+ years of recent experience managing a team of mortgage underwriters
- Categorical understanding of the mortgage lending process, underwriting methodology and philosophy
- Critical thinker with strong decision making ability
- Experience thriving in a high volume production environment
- Proven ability to build and scale teams, able to influence and built a stable brand on underwriting department, with an eye on retention of the team
- The ability to drive to build and retain a strong team of underwriting managers and individual
- Management and personnel development experience
- Proven ability to improve production and quality metrics
- Strong written and verbal communication
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.