Come and lead our Ocean team.The Opportunity:
The Ocean business at Flexport has grown tremendously since the company’s founding and we’ve positioned ourselves as a top freight forwarder across several of the world’s largest trade lanes. To continue this record growth, we are looking for an individual to serve as a strategic expert on the Ocean business at Flexport and help drive strategic initiatives. This role will require tight collaboration across our global Ocean team, as well as other key organizations, including Makers, Demand, Finance, Legal, and more.
- Be part of the Ocean & Trucking leadership team.
- Manage a team of analysts to become experts in the Ocean business at Flexport.
- Collaborate with Ocean & Trucking team to identify, scope, and prioritize key process improvement and strategic initiatives.
- Work with data team, Ocean Solutions associate(s), and Trade Lane Managers to standardize ocean dashboards and source of truth metrics.
- Conduct detailed analysis to inform future carrier selection and negotiation priorities.
- Work across the Ocean organization to continually assess and improve upon ocean procurement costs and service levels
- Collaborate with Trucking team to capitalize on end-to-end ocean and trucking opportunities
- Analyze ocean and drayage provider performance and develop standard KPIs and SLAs to measure vendor performance
- Direct market and competitive intelligence efforts
- Inform development of long-term procurement strategies and playbooks to profitably scale new trade lanes, customer end-markets, and product offerings
- Plan, perform, and implement process improvement initiatives
- Organize, leads, and facilitate cross-functional project teams
- Provide direction on the use of re-engineering techniques to improve process performance and product quality
- Communicate team progress
- Own cost and benefit analyses
You should have:
- 5+ years of experience in finance, consulting, technology or general management; ideally part of which in logistics or supply chain
- BA/BS degree or equivalent working experience
- Exceptional program management skills
- Exceptional analysis skills (Excel, SQL, Looker, etc.)
- The ability to influence cross-functional stakeholders without authority
- A proven track record of effectively interacting with senior management
- Demonstrated ability to manage direct reports
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Strategic vision and ground floor execution; execute end-to-end with world class follow through
- Ability to lead and direct the work of others
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it. See something broken? Fix it.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation