Supervisory Staff Appraiser, San Diego County (CA) (JR100545) at Better
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better.com is seeking Supervisory Appraisers to join our Direct Engagement Panel team. The Direct Engagement Panel team is responsible for decreasing the turnaround times of appraisals while providing an excellent experience for our borrowers with our best in class appraiser panel. Beyond producing high-quality appraisals and managing priorities, our goal is to streamline the process and ultimately reduce the cost of homeownership in America while creating an exceptional borrower experience. If you’re looking to make an impact alongside a collaborative team that’s transforming the homeownership industry, check us out.
Supervisory Appraisers will be responsible for supervising Appraiser Trainees within their specific geographical area, while having expert knowledge of appraisal practice.
In addition to other benefits listed below, Supervisory Appraisers will receive:
- Reimbursement of all business related expenses including office supplies, appraisal software package, data sources, mileage, continuing education classes and renewals
- Company issued laptop, iPad, cell phone, laser measuring device
- Steady work flow
Responsibilities will include:
- Supervise 1-3 Appraiser Trainees (coursework completed through Better University) within a specified geographic area through field work and coaching/review meetings
- Oversee the completion of real estate appraisals by your assigned Appraiser Trainees in accordance with the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) and in compliance with federal and state laws
- Supervise Appraiser Trainees to complete expected number of appraisals per month within required turnaround times
- Collaborate with the Appraisal Service and Review Appraisal teams to provide status updates on assigned appraisals via multiple modes of communication
- Participate in and provide feedback on new appraisal pilots instituted by Better and our partners
- Attend leadership and manager training through Better University
- Complete real estate appraisals on behalf of the company as needed
- Represent Better with the utmost level of professionalism, ethics, and integrity
- Certified Residential or Certified General Real Estate Appraiser in good standing
- Proven ability to effectively prioritize and work under time pressure
- Adept at working with minimal supervision while exercising independent and sound judgment
- Excellent communication skills
- Possess a customer service mentality
Bonus points for:
- Being approved to complete FHA and VA appraisals
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and their families, and we require vaccines out of an abundance of caution. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.