Workers Compensation Underwriter at Justworks
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Are you someone who quickly hits the ground running? Do you enjoy being in a fast moving environment where your eye for detail makes a difference? Do you have a knack for applying logical thinking to define problems, collect data, and create resolutions?
As a Workers’ Compensation Underwriter, you have experience working for a large casualty insurer or broker and underwriting workers’ compensation programs. You will analyze and evaluate work compensation insurance risks to write, retain and grow a profitable book of business.Your Success ProfileWhat You Will Work On
- Apply sound, creative underwriting and business judgment in the timely analysis and evaluation of workers' comp insurance risks
- Develop and maintain an effective working relationship with broker, program administrator, and carrier
- Prepare and present group training sessions for less experienced underwriters, field personnel
- Participate in department projects and special assignments
- Monitor timely issuance and cancellation of policies, certificates of insurance and endorsements
- Performs other related duties as assigned
As a Workers’ Compensation Underwriter, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Detail-oriented - exercises extreme attention to detail; is thorough, accurate, organized, and productive and seeks to understand both the cause and effect of a situation.
- Ethical practice - the ability to integrate core values, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices.
- Clear communication - the ability to articulate thoughts and express ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to gain understanding.
- Analytical - uses a logical reasoning process to break down and work through a situation or problem to arrive at an outcome.
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience with: underwriting, new business proposals, loss rating, renewals, and demonstrated training skills
- Workers' Compensation experience (loss-sensitive program experience a plus but not necessary)
- Large account insurance brokerage or property & casualty carrier experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- You like working with people and helping others solve problems
- You enjoy entrepreneurial environments and want to help build something meaningful
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Our DEI Commitment